An inspiring example of 19th Century architecture, placed within a Regency Style in-land square, this expansive, versatile, and elegant family residency is set in Clifton Hill Conservation Area.
Powis Square is a distinguished, characterful home situated to the East of the renowned Regency Square with many benefits including versatile accommodation throughout, a Southerly aspect rear patio garden and a sizeable garage. This substantial property will appeal to buyers searching for an exceptional family residence. There is an opportunity and scope to change the layout to suit modern day living.
Constructed in c1850; this semi-detached double fronted Victorian villa has an abundance of charm and character throughout, with its original ornate features, expansive and elegant rooms, high ceilings and angular sash windows along with a self-contained lower ground floor apartment.
Following the Grade II Listed black railings, you reach the property at the top of the square. Upon entering the home you are greeted by an entranceway which leads through to the formal dining and family room; this area is inviting and truly is the serene heart of the home. It has gorgeous features including an angular sash window, period architraves and beautiful high ceilings making this an ideal room to host guests along with your family and friends.
The wonderful kitchen boasts natural Southerly light and has patio doors which lead out to the tranquil patio garden. Granite worksurfaces rest on top of the wooden shaker style base units with some gorgeous appliances including a dark green rangemaster cooker and a butler sink. In addition to the storage space within the kitchen there is also a larder cupboard and a downstairs convenience or utility room.
Additionally on the ground floor is a separate faultless drawing room which has a spectacular open fireplace with original Victorian tiling and a marble surround along with a central ceiling rose and an angular sash window, a perfect space to unwind and relax in.
To the upper floors there are four generously sized bedrooms, two family bathrooms and two separate cloakrooms, as well as a second kitchen which could be modified to suit the new owners’ desires into either a home office, children’s playroom, or an en-suite bathroom. These two floors of this family home offer plentiful and flexible accommodation.
Throughout the home there are stunning views across Brighton’s rooftops and towards the seaside. To the first floor there is an adequate and uninterrupted terrace along with a peaceful patio garden to the ground level. The garage is larger than the average and can be accessed via the patio to the rear or from the street.
Another benefit to this delightful property is that it has a self-contained one bedroom apartment to the lower ground floor. This space would be ideal for guests and family to stay, or alternatively could be used as a separate revenue or otherwise could be converted back and form part of the main house (subject to necessary consent).
The property is Freehold, and the Council Tax Band is G.
The location of Powis Square is splendid, a desirable residential position within the Clifton Hill Conservation Area of Brighton.
The property is 0.3 miles South of Seven Dials where you can find an array of independent boutiques and shops, cafes including Small Batch, T @ The Dials and the Flour Pot Bakery along with fabulous gastro pubs including the Good Companions and The Crescent. Brighton Mainline Station is a near 6-minute walk and offers excellent service for commuters into London. Regular bus services run through the city and along the coast as well as easy road access to the A23/A27 with links to the motorway network and Gatwick.
The North Laine, The South Lanes and Church Road are within walking distance of the property, all districts offer bohemian vibes with many choice of amenities.
St. Ann’s Well Garden is around the corner where there is a scented garden and a wealth of wildlife along with a café, bowling green and tennis court.
And of course, the famous Brighton seafront, lawns and promenade 0.6 miles away!
Clifton Hill and Montpelier were developed from the 1820s to the 1860s and were considered at the time to be the most salubrious part of the town. Today they are an outstanding area of conservation with fine examples of Regency and Victorian architecture. The Clifton Hill Conservation Area was originally designated in 1973, it was extended in 1977 and now covers 75 acres. This area was renamed by Brighton & Hove Council in 2005 and is now known as the Montpelier and Clifton Hill Conservation Area.
Powis Square is Brighton’s only inland Regency Style square and is an impressive horseshoe-shaped crescent with ends returning into Powis Road, the middle comprising of a wide green enclosed by railings which is now cared for by the residents of Powis Square and used for social occasions.
Built in c1850 the Powis area took its name from the property developer John Yearsley, who was originally from Welshpool in Powys. Yearsley bought several acres of land on a leasehold basis from the Kemp family in 1846 and later acquired the freehold soon after. In the late 18th century Brighton was held by two influential local landowners; Thomas kemp held about 41 acres and John Sackville, 3rd Duke of Dorset, owned over 5 acres. The Kemp family first acquired the land in 1770, when it was sold to them by a family friend – whose history or large-scaled land acquisition around Brighton goes back to the late 16th century.
13 Powis Square and its attached railings received its Grade II Listed status in 1999. The two K6-type telephone kiosks at the bottom West side of the square are also listed.
The first standard public telephone kiosk introduced by the United Kingdom Post Office was produced in concrete in 1921 and was designated K1 (Kiosk No.1)
Moving on to 1935 the K6 (kiosk number 6) was designed to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George V. It was consequently known as the "Jubilee" kiosk. The K6 was the first red telephone kiosk to be extensively used outside of London, and many thousands were deployed in virtually every town and city, replacing most of the existing kiosks and establishing thousands of new sites. In 1935 there had been 19,000 public telephones in the UK: by 1940, thanks to the K6, there were 35,000
St. Michael and All Angels Church is situated at the bottom of Powis Square on the corner of Powis Road and Victoria Road, the church is Anglican dating back from the mid-Victorian era. It is one of the largest churches in the city of Brighton and Hove and is a Grade I Listed building. Original construction of the church took place between 1860 and 1861, the design of the exterior was reminiscent of the Italianate style. The church took two years to build and cost £6,728.
DISCLAIMER All material information has been provided to us by the seller, this is accurate to the best of our knowledge and is provided in good faith. Your legal representative should verify this information through enquiries raised during the conveyancing process.